The popular i20 from Hyundai gets a mid-cycle facelift, here's what you need to know about it.
1. The most noticeable changes occur up front, where you're met with completely new front clip assembly, new headlights, new bumpers and grille as well. It takes away the stubbyness of the car and introduces it to the new 'fluidic' design language at Hyundai.
2. The rest of the car seems relatively unchanged though, with new tail-lights and a new bumper at the back being the only other changes on the outside.
3. On the inside, the i20 remains mostly the same, though there are plenty of meaningful additions, like a reversing camera, keyless entry and start system, with automatic headlamps and wipers rounding out the tech package. The driver's seat now comes with an armrest, which we found quite comfortable on longer drives.
4. In front of the driver now sits a new instrument cluster with an LCD display in between the two gauge pods.
5. The light steering and clutch makes it a lot better to drive in the city, but it doesn't tighten up as much as we'd like as the speeds climb.
6. Low speed ride is very compliant, with the suspension soaking up most of the bumps, but as the speeds rise, the soft suspension doesn't really inspire too much confidence.
7. The 1.2-litre Kappa engine now sports variable valve timing (VVT), so along with that addition come 5 more horses under the hood.
8. These extra horses aren't immediately noticeable though because they come in higher up in the rev-range. Peak power now comes in at 800 rpm higher than the earlier unit.
9. The low end of the rev-range is still quite weak, but it comes to life once you're past 2500 rpm or so. So while the steering and clutch help out, the lack of good low-down response hinders its driveability in the city a little.
10. Overtaking moves aren't much stress though, but you will have to drop down a cog on the gearbox to keep the engine in the meat of the powerband.
11. The 1.4-litre diesel engine comes mated to a six-speed transmission, so cruising along highways is now a lot less stressful.
12. The new i20 starts at Rs 4.96 lakh for the base petrol model, going up to Rs 8.04 lakh for the top-end auto variant, while the diesel models start at Rs 6.25 lakh going up to Rs 7.8 lakh. All prices ex-showroom, Mumbai.