Close [X]

Maruti apprehensive about workers safety

img

Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL) has started assessing the damage at its Manesar unit, which was locked out following a deadly violence in which the factory was partially burnt and a senior executive was killed on July 18.

The company, which is India’s largest passenger car maker, said it was still apprehensive of the safety of its employees and could not say now when the facility would be reopned.

"Maruti Suzuki has started assessing the extent of damage at the Manesar plant. While the company is yet to assess the overall damage, it remains concerned about the safety of its people," the company said in a statement. The car maker will announce its decision to reopen the plant only when it is assured of employee safety, it added.

"The culprits continue to be at large. Considering the threat perception due to overall law and order situation in the region, it is difficult to ascertain when the company will be able to start the Manesar plant," the company said.

On Thursday, Maruti Suzuki said it had formed a 25-member team, drawn from various departments, to take care of the injured employees.

Production remained stalled at the Manesar facility where the lock-out was declared on July 21. The twin plants at Manesar was producing an average 1,600 vehicles every day and accounted for around 45 per cent of the overall production capacity of the company. Revenue loss to the company due to the lock-out has been estimated at Rs 70 crore per day.

Work at the companies Gurgaon plant, however, continues to be normal.

Last week, the Haryana government had announced a special investigation team, headed by Assistant Commissioner of Police Ravinder Tomar, to probe the incident. The police have so far arrested 97 workers.

The Haryana government has appointed eminent criminal lawyer KTS Tulsi as special public prosecutor for the trial of the accused in the violence.