It was Red Bull all the way through qualifying at the 2010 Spanish Grand Prix. Mark Webber and Sebastian Vettel scrapped for position through the session, with competition from both the McLarens. It was Webber who was the quicker of the two drivers during both the first and second practice sessions. In Q3 it looked as though Sebastian Vettel might manage to hold off his team-mate, but it was not to be. Webber managed to clinch the fastest time in the last few seconds of the qualifying session.
Behind the Red Bull drivers, it was Lewis Hamilton in the first of the McLarens who took third spot on the grid, while Fernando Alonso took fourth spot and Lewis' McLaren team-mate, Jenson Button, finished fifth.
It was good news for Michael Schumacher and the Mercedes GP team. Schumi, who looked more comfortable this weekend, outqualified his team-mate Nico Rosberg for the first time this season, finishing in sixth place. Rosberg finished eighth. Renault's Robert Kubica finished the session seventh.
Karun Chandhok was the quicker of the two HRT driver, qualifying 23rd, while his team-mate Bruno Senna will start from 24th and last on grid.
Qualifying times from the Spanish GP
1. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:19.995
2. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:20.101
3. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.829
4. Alonso Ferrari 1:20.937
5. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:20.991
6. Schumacher Mercedes 1:21.294
7. Kubica Renault 1:21.353
8. Rosberg Mercedes 1:21.408
9. Massa Ferrari 1:21.585
10. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:21.984
11. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:21.985
12. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.026
13. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:22.131
14. Petrov Renault 1:22.139
15. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:22.191
16. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:22.207
17. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:22.854
18. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:23.125
19. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:24.674
20. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:24.748
21. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:25.475
22. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:25.556
23. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 1:26.750
24. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:27.122