Sebastian Vettel set the fastest time at the second free practice session at the Spanish Grand Prix. Vettel was the only driver who managed to slip under teh 1m 20s barrier, and was two-tenths quicker than his team-mate, Mark Webber. While Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button had managed to make a mark in the first practice session, this time, it was Red Bull all the way, with the two drivers setting times that were six tenths better than the rest of the grid.
Michael Schumacher managed to make it to third spot on the timing sheets, incidentally the same spot he managed in the first free practice session. Schumacher's Mercedes GP team-mate, Nico Rosberg finished the session in seventh spot. By the looks of it, Michael has clearly benefited from the upgrades made to his car ahead of the Spanish GP, with the seven-time world champion himself saying that he now feels a lot more comfortable within the car. Schumacher also admitted that he was feeling more confident in the Mercedes GP car, saying that now progress was possible in the direction that he wanted.
Finishing fourth behind the Mercedes driver was Fernando Alonso in the first of the Ferraris. Alonso benefited from increased pace thanks to a softer tyre compound.
Karun Chandhok managed to pip his team-mate to a better time, and this is what he had to say about the session:
I am quite pleased with the job I did this afternoon after not taking part in the first practice session. I managed to get up to speed quite quickly and ended up with a very competitive lap time. We had some issues with the brakes but am sure we will be able to fix it in time for tomorrow morning's session. It was really good to hear Christian's comments and interesting to hear that they were similar to mine. On a lighter note it is nice to end up as top of the three HRT drivers today in front of the home crowd and guests. All in all a good day as we managed to complete our planned program for the day and will now concentrate on getting the car prepared for qualifying tomorrow.
Timings from second free practice at the 2010 Spanish GP
1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:19.965
2. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:20.175
3. Schumacher Mercedes 1:20.757
4. Alonso Ferrari 1:20.819
5. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.191
6. Kubica Renault 1:21.202
7. Rosberg Mercedes 1:21.271
8. Massa Ferrari 1:21.302
9. Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.364
10. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:21.518
11. de la Rosa Sauber-Ferrari 1:21.672
12. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:21.904
13. Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:21.931
14. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:22.184
15. Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:22.192
16. Petrov Renault 1:22.435
17. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:22.449
18. Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:23.765
19. Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:24.209
20. Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:24.894
21. di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:25.066
22. Chandhok HRT-Cosworth 1:25.972
23. Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:26.152
24. Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:26.596